Russian majors and minors are strongly encouraged to study abroad for the summer, a semester, or a full academic year through the MU GRINT program in Moscow, or through MU partner programs in St. Petersburg (CIEE), and Kazakhstan (American Councils). Information about these three programs can be found through the MU International Center website. Other non-MU program options are available; however, students are strongly advised to consult first with the Director for Undergraduate Studies for Russian and the MU International Center.

Study Abroad Scholarships and Funded Programs

Students in the College of Arts & Science should consider applying for A&S Study Abroad Scholarships. Students who receive Pell grants are eligible for the Gilman scholarship, which provides partial funding for study abroad. Funding is also available through the highly competitive Boren scholarship program.

CLS (Critical Languages Scholarship) is a competitive, fully funded summer study abroad program. Note that the program requires students to have completed at least two years of Russian by the beginning of the summer program (e.g., students may apply no sooner than during their second year of Russian.)

ROTC students should apply for Project GO, which provides fully funded intensive summer language study in the US and abroad in critical languages.

For information about other study-abroad funding opportunities, visit